In an emergency

Call 999 if a crime is in progress or you are in immediate danger.

Call 101 the police non-emergency number to report a rape or sexual assault or to provide information about a crime.

Reporting a rape or sexual assault
If you have been the victim of rape or another form of sexual violence it can be difficult to talk about it.

If the crime has recently happened

  • Keep the clothes you were wearing, don’t wash them but put them in a clean bag if available. The police will need them as evidence for the investigation
  • Do not shower, brush your teeth or hair, as there may be evidence that the police can use.

The Police
Bedfordshire Police have a specialist unit for the investigation of sexual offences and you can ask to speak to a female officer or staff member. More information on how the police investigate rape and sexual offences can be found at:

If you don’t want to report it to the police
The Emerald Centre is Bedfordshire’s Sexual Assault Referral Centre (SARC), a dedicated specialist centre providing a comprehensive service to female and male victims of sexual crimes. People can access these services either as a self-referral.

There is more information about the SARC at
Phone: 0330 2230099

You can also access Hope’s therapy services directly from the SARC if you wish.

What happens next?

The police (if you have reported the crime to them) or the SARC staff will:

  • Arrange for you to have a medical examination and treatment for any injuries you have.
  • Give you support and advice
  • Explain what happens next

The police and the SARC can put you in touch with an Independent Sexual Violence Adviser (ISVA) who will help you through the investigative and judicial processes and with access to other services such as counselling, housing and health.